22 June 2009

A Great Day



Father Matthew Goddard FSSP, very recently ordained in Nebraska, celebrated a Solemn High Mass in his home parish, Our Lady of Consolation, in honour of Our Lady yesterday afternoon.
The church was packed and the music was marvellous. It's no exagerration to say that Mass was truly heavenly, I wasn't alone in thinking it.
We were also able to receive a blessing from Father Matthew afterwards, which was also a rare and great privilege.

A lovely reception followed, where we could not only talk, eat, drink, and be merry, but play spot-the-bloggers.







There was so much to think about on the way home, this special Year for Priests, how rich and fulfilling the traditions of the Catholic church are if only you have the opportunity to experience them.
I know that there are people who might not instantly warm, say, to a Solemn High Mass. I've only had the opportunity to assist at three (seeing as they are a bit thin on the ground where I am), but I really love them. There is a lot going on, but I think that's very much part of why I love it, every bit of the Mass is directed to God, every gesture, every word. I know that the argument goes that the congregation somehow isn't in the loop, being reduced to spectators, but that kind of misses the point: you are the loop just because you are there.

Prayers and good wishes to Father Matthew Goddard and his family!

No comments: