10 May 2011

That time of year again, yes it's the school trip.

I've just got back from a trip to France, no, not a holiday, a school trip. Anyone who has ever done one of these knows it's an indescribable experience, and not in a good way. Sleep deprivation and making sure the little darlings don't injure themselves or others, plus the dangers of acute deodorant asphyxiation when doing room checks, make for an interesting if asthmatic few days.

But on the plus side, I did get to go to Bayeux again. Yes, I saw the remarkable embroidery, which is spectacular, but I love the cathedral. Last time I was there I didn't get a chance to take any photos in the crypt, but this time I did. Apologies if they're a bit dark, but there's no flash allowed down there, and I've not photoshopped them yet.






The glass is also lovely, and so are the paintings in the side chapels.







We also visited Arromanche and a British War Cemetery. It's not only moving to see the footage of the D Day landings and the construction of the harbour, and the graves, but the great crucifix and statue of Our Lady that watch over the town.




One of the graves bears the inscription Introibo ad altare Dei, ad Deum qui laetificat juventutem meam.



It's amazing what you can find on a trip to a farm. How many orchards can boast a Thirteenth Century chapel?





So it wasn't all Lynx and can-we-go-to-the-shops/market/supermarket. It was good to be somewhere where there are so many images and reminders of the faith.

No comments: